The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization (PIO) governed by an international board of directors with representation from developed and developing nations.
The non-profit center focuses on increasing and sustaining food and agricultural productivity in developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
We are recruiting to fill the below position below:
Job Title: National Policy Economist, Seconded to ECOWAS
Tracking Code: 20120364
Type of Contract: Regular Staff
Duration: One Year Renewable
Anticpated Start Date: 30th March, 2018
Program: USAID EnGRAIS
- IFDC North and West Africa is seeking to recruit a National Policy Economist for its program “Enhancing Growth through Regional Agricultural Input Systems (EnGRAIS)” to be implemented in the West Africa sub-region.
- The National Policy Economist will be seconded to ECOWAS and will be responsible for liaising with ECOWAS and other regional institutions to support the implementation of the EnGRAIS program.
- The National Policy Economist seconded to ECOWAS will be supervised by and report to the program’s CoP.
- He/she may also be called to perform other duties assigned by the CoP as deemed necessary to support the achievement of the program’s overall objective.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with ECOWAS officials, particularly in the Agriculture Department, regarding regional initiatives and issues related to the agricultural inputs and particularly fertilizer sector.
- Provide at least monthly updates on all ECOWAS activities related to USAID/IFDC ongoing work and current and potential initiatives; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the COP of EnGRAIS or his designee.
- Facilitate ECOWAS/IFDC coordination on planned fora, meetings, initiatives and implementation.
- Advocate, as appropriate and needed, on behalf of USAID/IFDC initiatives;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and French
- Competence in the use of computers and MS Office software
- Ability and availability to travel to other countries as required.
- Demonstrated ethics, integrity and sound judgment;
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with staff and counterparts from different countries and cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- A Master’s degree in Agricultural Policy, Agricultural Economics, Economics or a related field.
- At least five years of professional work experience, preferably in agricultural policy with government or international donor-funded projects/programs in the areas of fertilizer, food security.
- Work experience in ECOWAS Member States (required) and with regional institutions (preferred).
- Monthly reports/briefs on discussions and facilitations with ECOWAS relevant departments including recommendations to be considered by the program’s management team.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Candidates can however also apply by e-mail to be sent to: email@example.com during the same timeframe. The subject of the mail must be “National Policy Economist seconded to ECO WAS”.
Application Deadline 23rd March, 2018.
- Please read carefully the following instructions, the non-respect of which may affect your request.
- Candidates are kindly asked to put together their file in French; it must include a cover letter, and an updated CV that describes their experiences, qualifications and provides three reference contacts.
- The initial term of the Contract will be twelve (12) months and will be subject to a positive performance evaluation during the first year. The contract may be renewed subject to satisfactory performance and availability of Program financial resources.
- Only successful candidates will be invited for an interview in Abuja. There will be no response to telephone inquiries.
- The interview will consist of an interview with a jury and probably a written and/or oral test.